Sunday 28 March 2021

Toxic Positivity









"The Power of Positive Thinking" explained by Norman Vincent Peale as early as in 1952 in his book of the same name has gained momentum and peaked over the years. I have also been an advocate of the "Law of Attraction". 

However, attending a webinar on  the occasion of the " World Mental  Health Day" opened my eyes to the fact that it is not only unfair but cruel  to ask a person facing mental health issues to think positive. This awareness triggered the writing of this poem.  I recited the poem at the 6th Dignar  online International poetry Fest on 28th March 2021.


"Positivity, positivity, positivity 

Hey come on guys, be positive 

eat positivity, drink positivity, breathe positivity! "


"Hold on, hold on, hold on

you  can't force this down my throat

holding a machine gun against my head!"

 "It takes time dude, can't jump straight from negativity

a normal these days, to positivity! 


Give me time to acknowledge my feelings

of negativity, anxiety, fear, despair 

then, when I am ready, I will

journey to your side....   "


"Till such time, leave me alone friend 

impatience and insistence  

gets one nowhere- At most, it can create  an outer facade

of everything being alright, while things are worse inside 

like a half baked bread, appears fine to the eye

but not edible enough to eat! "  




5 comments:

  1. You could have posted this to Indispire ЁЯШЕ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I did not know Indispire had a similar topic. Normally, I write what comes to mind and do not look for the prompts.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your thoughts Mridula!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree in toto. Let the people who are fond of preaching all and sundry (with or without a reason, considering themselves as Uncle Agony or Aunt Agony) also understand the essence of your post as well as the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jitendra. So happy you related to the post and liked it.

    ReplyDelete