Sunday 12 February 2023

Golden Quotable Quotes

 


12th day of #Blogchatter daily write challenge  

I have always been a big fan of inspiring quotes from anywhere and everywhere, be it books, something displayed in an office or what someone said in a speech. It is not as if  I used them verbatim in talks or speeches as an HR executive, trainer or teacher. Just reading or listening to them  gives me a high, a good feeling. It is as if the words do something silently to your cells making you healthier or wiser depending on the gist of the message. I have many diaries with the latter part reserved and filled with what I deem as "Golden quotes" that show the way for a better living. 

In my blog I have published 33 posts with the title "Captivating Lines from Here and There" with around 10 quotes in each of them, touching upon subjects such as communication, leadership, health and spirituality. In the last such post I had included this quote from  Paul.J. Meyer, author and pioneer of self improvement industry that reads as follows:  

  • Most people experience difficulty in making changes in themselves because they try to change conscious actions without changing the attitudes and habits which automatically govern their actions- Paul. J. Meyer  
Now, there is a lot you can do with a quote like that. You can start focusing on the attitude and habits to get best results. One thing to note is that the wisdom in the quote should resonate with you as an individual. It is possible that by nature something is not important to you. If this is so, no amount of deep wisdom on the matter will get through to you. I once read a self- help book in which the author  mentioned a quote within a few pages, at the beginning of the book. It was obvious that the said quote was very important to him as he repeated the same 6 to 7 times in the book reiterating its value each time. However, as a reader I did not relate to it and was a little irritated with its repetition so many times. 

I will end this post with a funny experience I had in this connection. In the office, our tables had a glass top under which you could place important information that can be read any time through the transparent glass. Production engineers put their weekly/monthly targets and schedule under the table top. When I was working in BEML at the corporate office, I placed my favourite quotes under the glass top.
However, some quotes were facing the visitor so that anyone coming in could read them. Couple of others were for "My eyes alone" that were placed facing me on my side of the table. The quotes that the visitors could see included one that read "Your smile is the most important thing you wear". 

Once a lady who had come to meet me at the office on some official matter saw the quotes and was very impressed. Even as she was reading and appreciating them, she asked me about the ones that were on the other side, facing me. I told her that they were meant only for me. However, within seconds she rushed to my side of the table to read them. I was taken aback. I was meeting this person for the first time and yet she had taken the liberty to do what she did in spite of my forbidding it. Such is the power and attraction of valuable, golden quotes. 

I firmly told her that the ones on my side were meant only for me and that others wouldn't even understand them. She wasn't happy but returned to her seat. Actually,I had told her the truth . As for example, a  message on my side simply read "Only a dream". By itself it may not mean much to most people. But for me it was Osho 's advice not to take this world seriously, not be unduly perturbed by official pressures as everything was "Just a dream".  

So, dear readers what are your golden quotes and  how did they make a big difference to your lives?

2 comments:

  1. This post is definitely useful and your experience with the visiting lady is really funny. I am impressed by Osho's advice mentioned by you that this world is not to be taken seriously. I am not fond of Self-Help Books (after reading many of them during my teens to my forties). However the quote of Richard Carlson - 'Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff' is always borne by me in my mind (actually it's the title of his book filled with similar thoughts). And the philosophy of my life is - Accept the life as it unfolds'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your detailed response! Happy you related to the post.

    ReplyDelete