Sunday 20 December 2020

Instant Gratification







Good or bad, sensible or foolish 

the need, the desire, craving

or  if you prefer, the malady

of instant gratification is real and alive! 


It is besieging one and all 

some faster, some a little later

but succumb we all do

to the charms of instant gratification  


After all, who wants to wait that long 

in anticipation, expectation 

"Give it to me now" they say

or tell me if I don't fit the bill 

so that I can bask in the happiness

or swallow if a bitter pill, and move on..."  


For all the teachings of the Gita 

exhorting action with no expectations of fruit 

we now live in different times 

why, even a twentieth century born me 

struggle for immunity against

the twenty first century phenomena 

instant gratification!    

I  recited this poem in the 5th  Dignagar International Poetry meet (Online)  fest organized by Shri Gobinda Bishwas on 20th December 2020. 









No comments:

Post a Comment