Belle Monappa Hegde often abbreviated as B. M. Hegde (born 18 August 1938) is an Indian medical scientist, educationist and author. He is a retired Vice Chancellor of the Manipal University and the head of the Mangalore Chapter of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan.
He has authored several books on medical practice and ethics. He was Professor of Cardiology [Visiting] London University since 1982. He was Emeritus International Advisor to The Royal College of Physicians of London and Edinburgh. Dr. Hegde has 47 years of teaching experience to undergraduates and postgraduates. In 2010 He was honoured with a Padma Bhushan, one of India's highest civilian awards. Hegde is visiting faculty at many universities.
It gives me great pleasure to share the gist of the thoughts of the people's doctor on medicine, drugs and approach for a healthy living
- By nature human body tends to take care of itself. Infact it is the drugs administered as treatment that cause the maximum damage.
- Medical check ups are a big fraud that is encouraged and foisted on the unsuspecting general public in order to make people patients for life. A healthy person walks in for a check up and walks out as a patient.
- Drug companies are funding researches on medical matters and text books are written to safeguard their interests.
- The threshold levels of various ailments such as diabetes, blood pressure and cholestrol are periodically brought down based on funded research so that the drug companies get additional patients and customers in one stroke.As for example the acceptable fasting blood sugar which was initially 140 was brought down to 120 and then to100. It is planned to shortly declare a lower threshold by the American diabetes association which would be accepted by other countries all over the world.
"The business of cholesterol research and the cholesterol lowering drugs runs into billions of dollars".
- There is a difference between 'average'and 'normal'. Yet medical profession claims and propogates that if your numbers do not fall in the average range of clinical tests, you are not normal.According to him, it is like saying that Amitabh Bachan and Jaya Bachan are not 'normal' because their height do not fall within the 'average' height range of an Indian male and female.
- If you "eat well, piss well, shit well, sleep well and work well", you are doing fine and no medical check ups are necessary.
- Many of the medical interventions do more harm than good.As for example surgical removal of uterus etc by actor Anjelina Jolie fearing cancer due to heriditary factors, was unnecessary.
- Universal compassion and helping others is the key to good health.
- Do not be jealous of any one.
- Laugh number of times daily.Have the heart of a child.
- Sympathy,empathy and faith are the most important aspects for healing.