Monday 28 November 2022

Three Things that Immediately Uplift Me










Blogchatter under their Bloghop series  gave this prompt to write on for the week November 23- 30th 2022.  I pondered over the topic. Almost all of us need 'uplifting' these days. What with economic pressures caused by the pandemic, relationship issues, pressure generated by the social media to prove that "You are good enough"  and the pressure to be updated or the fear of missing out (FOMO).. We all have our own ways of 'uplifting ourselves". For some it may be shopping while for others it may be going to the movies. Of course, one man's food can be another 's poison as we are all unique. Some solutions can themselves cause problems later on, like binge eating of chocolates or ice cream to beat the blues. 

I asked myself "What is it that uplifts me?" The first thing that came to mind was music. I enjoy listening to songs as also singing them. The very activity guarantees a raising of my spirits. I particulary enjoy the genre of "Melodies" though it is fun to listen to various typs of music in many languages. Unlike the present crop of feature films, in the Indian movies of yore we had songs depicting various emotions in the life of the protagonists be it romance, friendship, sadness or hope. We had music having both Indian classical/semi classical and western flavour. It is to the older songs that I looked to mostly to 'uplift' me immediately. 

A walk in the park or amidst nature is another sure fire way for me to change states. Movement has been known to have benefits and scientifically proven to release mood enhancing hormones. Add to it the various sights on the way and you find that you feel good already. Unlike as in a gym where you "Work out" for keeping fit, a walk doesn't seem like 'work' but a pleasant activity that brings a feeling of well being. Some people do it with a few friends to obtain the added advantages of socialization. 

At one time watching movies used to 'uplift' me. These days, however one finds the plots very predictable. Most of them have a lot of violence and one would think 'normal life'  is about crime and criminals all around you. This is when I discovered the Russian movies (dubbed in English) on you tube. They have a lot of dramatic moments, with rural life depicted quite often and a 'feel good ' end  in most movies. They remind me of our own movies of  fifties, sixties and early seventies when the heroine had meaty roles too. We also get to see older characters like a grandfater or grandmother more often.  So there it is, these days I look to Russian movies to 'uplift' me. 

Although only three things have been sought in the prompt, other things that uplift me include watching videos or listening to podcasts on spiritual/ New age / NDE (Near death experience) subjects  as also practising EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) a tapping thechnique that involves tapping on specific meridian points on one's body.

I enjoyed writing on this week's prompt as it gave me an opportunity to share with my readers  tips that work for me,  we all need to have in our armour small customized things suitable to our individual needs to keep us uplifted in a world that is becoming increasingly challenging. 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for reading and sharing your thought on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading and responding to the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Self motivation is the need of the hour since life itself is entangled in every possible way by our own creation. To make the tense situation look life simple many make merrier with the music, light shower, a brisk walk in the garden and surrounded by the greenery. The life moves on and on.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, self motivation has become the need of the hour. Thank you sir for reading and responding to the post.

    ReplyDelete