Wednesday 6 July 2022

The Sweetest Memory of them all










School days are seen by many as the best period of life-  A time when the little humans are still innocent; not yet coloured by likes, dislikes, prejudices. However, for some, it may have been an experience best forgotten - A time that brings back memories of bullies in class or tormenting teachers! In the "good old days" teachers had the right to 'punish' children by caning, giving impositions or asking them to run around the school play ground 10 times. 

As for me, I always look back to those times with fondness, a period when I was molded in so many ways to become the present 'me' be it in terms of values or developing one's abilities beyond the curricular activities. Essay writing and elocution skills were honed and developed during this period. We had manuscript magazines released annualy by each class wherein students of the class contribute poems, short stories and essays. There would also be competitions to decide the best magazine for high school and middle school. I participated in almost all co-curricular activities held in my school, Kendriya Vidyalaya, Ernakulam, Kerala.  

This happened when we were in the 7th class. We had a lesson in our Hindi text book about a highway robber Ratnakar who in later life became Valmiki on meeting Narada Muni and becoming his disciple. Our teacher Sreedevi Bai madam wanted this to be staged as a play on the annual day. It was a very ambitious desire on her part. Those days only two plays were staged for the annual day one in English which is usually a Shakespeare drama and another in Hindi, both enacted by higher class students of 10th and 11th. I was assigned the role of the robber Ratnakar in our play and all of us practised whole heartedly guided by our dedicated teacher. 

However, a big obstacle had to be cleared in order to be able to stage it on annual day. All programs had to be cleared by the principal Mr BhujangaRao T.S who was very strict about standards when it came to giving clearance. The principal initially even refused to entertain an idea of 7th class students staging a play. On the strong recommendation of our teacher we were allowed to present it before him for a possible selection. There were butter flies in our stomache even as we did it before him. The result was "Rejected",  meaning we all went into a pall of gloom and  disappointment. 

A year later, as I was walking by the school playground during a free period, S.N.Dube sir  who taught Hindi for  senior classes of 9th, 10th and 11th accosted me. He was carrying a book with him. He pushed it in front of me and said "Pado, pado (read,read)". I was taken aback. First of all, he was not my teacher and I did not even know him very well. As instructed,  I read a few lines. "Ok. come and meet me in the staff room" he said and quickly moved away. I was a little worried as to why he wanted me in the staff room. Had I inadvertantly done something wrong?   

When I later went and met him in the staff room Dube sir said that he was planning to stage a  Hindi play for the School Annual Day and that he wanted me to play a role. Dubey sir was known to take only girls in his plays and get a few of them to play male characters. Now, here was he asking me to act in his play. I told him of the fiasco in the 7th class when princi had 'rejected' us. I did not feel confident to go through the ordeal once again. He said he knew about that incident and that he would take care of it. 

Thus, I ended up practising for the play for days with a team that consisted of members from senior classes. I was playing the title role that of a dubious politician who speaks of children and womens' welfare in public but ill treats his son and wife at home. This time, we had no problem regarding the clearance by the principal as one Hindi play directed by Dube sir was mandatory on Annual day. The more high profile, English play, Shakespeare's 'Othello' was also being readied directed by Mr R.K. Mishra, the PG English teacher. 

The D day had finally come! The auditorium was jam packed. Justice T.C. Raghavan was in the audience. He had come to watch his daughter play Desdemona in the English play. Our play was announced and we moved from the greenroom to the stage.Everything went like a song and there was a thunderous applause from the audience after our performance. This was a welcome change as Hindi plays were usually not taken very seriously pitted against Shakespeare's plays. One by one various items were presented and then the fitting finale of the evening- "Othello"! The program for the day being completed, prizes were being announced. We were satisfied that our play was well received. The best actor and actress would go to the English play as usual. Then came the announcement-  best actress Devika Raghavan for the role of Desdemona. Best actor Rajeev.M.N. for the politician in the Hindi play! 

We were all taken by surprise as we had not expected any such thing. However, the surprise  was followed by elation and excitement. There was a confusion as I went up the stage to receive my prize when the best actress's certificate was handed over to me which I later exchanged with Devika. It was all like a dream; being rejected by the princi in 7th class, winning the best actor prize in 8th class during the same principal's tenure, competing against more senior students. 

I never looked back after that. In all the remaining years that  I studied in the school (those days we did not have 12th class, one could join degree course after 11th),  I got opportuniy to feature in the plays on Annual day. Now, wouldn't such a memory  be treasured as the sweetest among school memories?  

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful memories. Those school days were the best in anybody's life. Beautifully expressed .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Pankajam for your appreciation and feeddback ❗

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm rather amused that you won a price playing a politician, a role you'd never take on in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the irony of it....:) Thank you for responding to this post.

    ReplyDelete