Wednesday 29 January 2020

Why Papa?

IndiBlogger Badge

Papa, teacher scolded me again
when I ask you for new uniform
in place of torn ones
you point to our neighbour
who doesn't even send his kids to school

Why papa, when I ask for a chocolate
once in a while
you say "Look at the neighbour
they eat food only twice a day"

If you want to compare with neighbours
why not with the house across two streets
who have a beautiful house, clothes, comforts
why compare with the weak?

Don't we want to become stronger
and better day by day papa?
or is our lot to remain thus - remain
satisfied that we are better than neigbour!

My text books are torn, secondhand
I have no toys to play
OK, OK, I won't ask anything
at least, will you please stop
talking of neighbours every time
and everyday in our house?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for responding Mridula. Yes, life does throw up questions doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete