Sunday 14 May 2023

Mothers Day Celebration 2023

To celebrate Mother's day 2023, ALS Performing Arts FB group invited members to sing a song in praise of mother and motherhood. I chose to sing a very famous Tamil song from the film "Adimai Penn". For the benefit of non Tamil speaking readers, I have made a loose translation of the lyrics written by Alangudi Somu to English. Music is by K,V, Mahadevan and sung originally by T.M.Soundararajan.

There is no "me" without my mother 

There is no "me" without my mother, 

none have taken birth on earth, on their own 

I have a  loving mother, who watches over me all the time...( There is no "me" without my mother) 


She 'll come, as a river of life...

quench my thirst and gloat happily

she'll tolerate my mistakes, enhance my righteousness (dharma)

add to the manure/fertility/health of the earth....( There is no "me" without my mother) 


A symbol of pure love, she carries me on her shoulders

even when I misbehave at times 

kind, motherhood in her, condones them... ( There is no "me" without my mother)  


She walks in the street of the clouds, overseeing me

becomes one with my life breath 

she'll touch the mountain tops, gift me a mind of flowers 

be my constant support, for a happy life ( There is no "me" without my mother)  


She is the beginning and end of life &living

the epitome of justice, that rules us all

A destroyer of  pride/arrogance, and  provider  of strength..

she is the mother Mahasakthi / Super power... (There is no "me" without my mother)  




No comments:

Post a Comment