Sunday 16 October 2022

If your Diary spoke to you...

 

The weekly prompt of Blogchatter under their bloghop series was to write about a conversation with your diary. So here goes...

" Hi, How do you do? I have been trying to speak to you for the last couple of days. But you have been ignoring me." 

" Well you had forgotten that I even existed. You think of me now, after so many years simply because Blogchatter has asked you to talk to me. You are what they say in Hindi "Matlabi (an opportunist) !" 

" Really sorry about that, dear diary. You have always been a wonderful companion - solace in difficult times and a joy while recording and reading about the good times." 

" so then, why did you ignore me for so long?"  

"Look, I didn't do it intentionally and you know that. I remember I first turned to you in the year 1983 on the advice of  Prof Sreenivasan, an author who said "Rajeev, keep an account of whatever happens in your daily life. You can revisit it periodically to gain insights."  I followed that advice for some time and then the rumble and tumble of working in a corporate took over and there was no time to write diaries. 

" Now, don't give excuses. You stopped writing around the time you got married and started a family." 

" Well, ok that also added to the problem of becoming busy and not finding time to write." 

" Yet, you turned to me once again  years later when working for Hyundai Motor India Ltd." 

" Ah, yes. I resumed writing once again when a trainer friend presented me a diary with  a title on the  cover that read "The Book of Happiness". She suggested recording  in it  all happy  instances and incidents that occured everyday. It was in  that phase that  I was associated a lot with you. I also enjoyed recording about the official trip to US for the Hyundai Global L&D meet at the Alabama plant . I continued enaging with this avatar (version)  of yours until you almost ran out of pages. Guess, we should not give a break to the activity. If you do that, lethargy sets in. " 

" Would you like to share with readers some of the things you had recorded on my pages?" 

" Oh sure, here is an account of  a work day as HOD of Learning & Development department in Hyundai. 

8/7/20011 

Today I took the Law of Attraction (LOA) class for the Graduate Engineering Trainees. It was a big hit. One of the participants, Sriman came and told me during break that he earnestly believed that this input will open doors and provide solutions for the difficulties he faced in achieveing goals. I told him that I could teach him EFT (Emotional freedom technique) to remove the blocks and doubts to enable practising of LOA without hurdles. He was very enthused by the offer and said he would give up his lunch to learn it. Seeing his enthusiasm, I requested the faculty of the session before lunch on 'security' to grant him permission to leave half an hour earlier during which time I taught Sriman EFT. He was very happy and so was I. 

On returning home at night , I watched the Airtel Star singer musical competition program on Vijay TV. I was happy to learn that the judges had decided not to eliminate any contestant after the "Devotional songs" round. All the kids had sung very well and deserved to be retained.  

Now a page on the US visit to our Alabama plant. 

6/10/2011  

On the second day of the conference, we visited the factory and were taken on a tour of the plant by Mr Tim of Public relations department. An exserviceman, he was superb in his presentation  with a high level of clarity and quality of language. We went through the plant on a moving vehicle and could see the employees at work. One interesting thing we noticed was that, unlike as in India there were a good number of women employees (strong & well built) working on the shop floor engaged in  activities requiring physical exertion. Tim urged us to wave to the employees and call some of them by name. Many waved back at us and we cheered calling out loudly "Go Hyundai!" Later, we had a group photo with the head of the plant.

Subsequently, we went to the training center and made our presentations about the learning & development activities of our respective home units. During discussion, the concept of AI (Appreciative inquiry) and sharing of positive stories came up. I articulated my own understanding of AI in simple and clear terms.My presentation on the GHRDS implementation was well appreciated. I also gave my views on the exhibits in the 'Gallary walk' and thoroughly enjoyed the process. During the two days we spent at the Alabama plant, I learnt to say "My name is Rajeev" in Portuguese from one of the delegates.On the last day we returned from the plant straight to the 'Country club' for an elaborate, finale dinner. This time the car was driven by Nancy who shared her experiences of working for Hyundai and life in America. It was a nice, rewarding experience conversing with her.  

" Look at the amount of impact I had made in your life- capturing the key moments of your life on my pages! "

" So true dear diary. I have resolved to not let go of you, from now on . I plan to make you an indespensible part of my life."

"Hey thanks. Only I hope you keep your word this time and not get lost in, as you say "the rumble and tumble of day to day life." 

8 comments:

  1. Now to go back down memory lane to feel good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and responding to the post Pushmaoteeji!

      Delete
  2. Thank yo so much! So happy you related to the post and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to keep diaries as a young man. Now my blog is my diary.

    Nice reading about your romance with the diary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the subject! Yes, blogging to an extent meets the purpose of maintaining a diary. Yet, as it has happened in this instance, your diary can trigger thoughts for a blog as well :)

      Delete
  4. Diary writing is a way of recording events on daily basis with facts and figures and no room for fantasy and imagination. It is certainly an exhilarating experience to read the diary of the past decade to understand the strength and weakness and how far one has succeeded. Your fantasy discussion with your diary triggers the reality of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much sir for sharing your thoughts on the subject!

    ReplyDelete