Saturday 13 August 2022

If you could change into your favourite character which would be it?














The Blogchatter prompt for this week under their #BlogchatterBlogHop series was to write on your favourite character. When I look back to my childhood, it is evident that after the initial "love for the comics", it was Enid Blyton books that attracted my attention. Amongst her many types of books for children, it was specifically the mystery series featuring the 'Five find outers' which was my favourite. Infact, some of her books for smaller children featuring creatures like elves, gnomes, goblins etc, came to my notice only after I had discovered the 'Five find outers'. Later I got to know of other characters like in the adventurous "Famous Five" and secretive "Secret seven" series. Yet, for me it was the five find outers who were the best!

The five find outers are Fatty, Larry, Daisy, Pit, Bets and the dog Buster. The character I loved most was that of Fatty. Now, there must have been an additional reason for my love of the leader of the five find outers, the key brain instrumental in solving many cases like the "Mystery of the disappearing cat" and "Mystery of the strange bundle." As a child I was on the plump side and tended to be a butt of jokes amongst classmates at school and remarks at home. Yet, here was Fatty, a hero who was looked up to with admiration by his entire team of find outers! His body, rather than being a handicap was an advantage when he wanted to disguise himself as a beggar or older person.

Changing into my favourite character would mean going back to the carefree days of childhood. It would also mean engaging in some exciting activities of investigation. Unlike an adventure series, the find outers are required to solve mysteries by looking for clues and using the grey matter a lot. It also involves getting into some tough, at times dangerous situations as well. This can be thrilling and exciting! We would be looking forward fondly to our summer holidays for reunion, bonding and another mystery to solve. We would also enjoy the mouth watering food that Enid Blyton described so eloquently- pies, sausages,chocolates, jam tarts, ginger beer and many more!

Slipping into the character of Fatty would give me an opportunity to play leader and develop leadership skills. It would be fun to plan, taking inputs from each member of the team including that of Bets who tends to be bypassed by others as she is the youngest. I would love to disguise myself as many interesting personalities while on an investigative journey. Yes, the character that I would love to change into if that would be possible is that of Frederick Algernon "Fatty" Trotteville! I would love to give the village policeman Mr Goon a run for his money one more time!  

12 comments:

  1. Though I started my English reading with Blyton, can't recall Fatty now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you may have read the other series such as Famous Five and Secret Seven which were also popular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh yes, I loved Fatty too.. he was definitely the smartest and coolest

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Happy you related to the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fatty sounds like a delightful character!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, he is. Thank you for reading and responding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic recollection of the character. Every event in life is a learning process and we gain experience and exposure with relating our role with the inherent responsibility. Value addition happens by default. Enjoyed at par 👌👍😀

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you sir! So happy you liked the post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved that character and read all those series. In fact Enid Blyton could fuel any child's imagination

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts on the subject! Yes, as observed by you "Enid Blyton could fuel any child's imagination".

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always wanted to be one of the Famous Five guys... I haven't read a Five Find Outer book yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should certainly try out a five find outers book. It is quite entertaining.

      Delete