Saturday 21 September 2019

Outsider in My Own Terrain

IndiBlogger Badge


I recited this poem at the 12th edition of gpif (Guntur International Poetry Festival) held on 19-20th September at Guntur Andhrapradesh, India

My ancestors lived a life of peace and tranquility
we had plenty to eat, drink and share
until you came to tell me "I am not enough"
only a tribal- uncivilized, and illiterate!

You  judge  me on your terms
why should your culture,  selfishness, greed
be held superior to my life attuned to nature?
why should we learn your tongue
while ours are slowly dying away

Malnutrition, infant mortalities galore
diseases of malaria, cholera, TB, Jaundice
are our lot on brushing with your "Great" civilization
insecure, displaced, disgraced,
we are now 'outsiders' in our own terrain!

Footnote: This is a wake up call to the Government to do more to rehabilitate our tribal population who are displaced physically and psychologically. 

https://www.facebook.com/rajeev.moothedath/videos/3123888000971949/ 

2 comments: