Friday 25 June 2021

In Conversation with an accomplished, unassuming, self- effacing Poet



Pankajam Kottarath (K.Pankajam) is a poet whose writing I had enjoyed reading right from the time of  her early works such as "Echoes" and "Whispering waves". Later we were both members of nurturing literary  groups like the online "Rate my literature" and the real time "Chennai poetry circle", where I got the opportunity to read and admire more of her poetry. 

In the meanwhile, Pankajam has travelled great distances. Today she is the author of  25 books (14 of which are poetry) that include fiction, poetry and literary criticism in English and  Malayalam. She has received many awards that include the Rock Pebbles National Literary award 2019. It was a pleasure to catch up and get to know first hand the lady's illustrious poetic journey over the years.

Rajeev Moothedath (RM) : Warm greetings Pankajam!  I am so happy you agreed to this conversation.

Pankajam Kottarath(PK) : Thank you Rajeev. Happy to talk to you, anytime. 

RM:  let us start at the very beginning, Could you tell us a little about your place of birth and family background?  

PK:  I am from Manalur village in the Trichur district of Kerala, that has a landscape of backwaters on two sides and vast paddy fields silhouetted by mango and coconut groves on another side.  Ours was a conservative middle class family. My father was a teacher; my mother a great devotee of Lord Krishna. She used to worship the Lord on the first day of every month at Guruvayur temple. I used  to tag along clinging to her saree on such trips. It was her daily routine to read Ramayana and Mahabharata with a unique rhythm of her own. I think all these have influenced me and  unconsciously crept  into my writing later on. 

RM:  That is interesting. Are there other incidents that molded your life in general and writing in particular? 

PK:  I lost my mother when in her early forties. Perhaps, as they say God calls back early those who are more dear to him. I had lost my father two years prior. This meant being the eldest, the care of my three younger siblings fell in my inept hands. At that time I was only seventeen and married as well. I thank God for blessing me with enormous patience, perseverance and a sense of balance that helped me tide over those difficult times. 

RM:  Circumstances required you to play a role of a mature adult with major responsibilities  at a very young age! Would you like to tell us about your education and career? 

PK :  I did my schooling up to PUC in my hometown and later moved  to Chennai to obtain a  degree in  commerce from Madras University. Later, after joining BHEL, I did CAE , PG diplomas in Financial Management and Taxation Laws. 

I am very emotional by nature and value personal relationships above all else. Although I had cleared 9 out of 10 papers in ICWAI groups I & IIthe sudden demise of my best friend and young colleague devastated me to such an extent that I could not continue and complete ICWA.   
  
I retired  as Deputy Manager-Finance from BHEL, Chennai. I have a sense of satisfaction and pride that I completed my official assignments effectively with commitment. Now, retirement leaves me with ample time to pursue my first love- poetry and literature. 

RM:  So when and how did the writing bug bite you?  

PK: Frankly, I really do not know when and how poetry started entering my bonnet; more than one factor seems to have drawn me towards poetry. At my father’s house, there used to be Aksharaslokam recitals in Malayalam in which  my father’s elder brother actively participated. As a child I used to join in these literary gatherings just for fun. 

 Being a sensitive and non vocal person, I found it difficult to express my feelings openly when upset, disappointed or angry about something. Instead of speaking out, I used to put it down on paper and tear it off later . This helped me to ward off negativity. I also started jotting down about things that touched my heart. However, I didn’t feel like showing these deluges to anybody, as I considered them trivial. Finally, I gathered enough courage to submit one of my poems for a poetry contest held by my employer. To my pleasant surprise and disbelief, I won the first prize! The journey had begun;  I published my first book in 2006. 

RM: Why write or rather what motivates you to write?  

PK:  Writing relieves me from monotony and stress, gives me the opportunity to connect with like-minded people. When it comes to poetry, it is a means to convey powerful messages in less number of words. I write poetry from the heart rather than the brain. While providing the opportunity to unleash my wealth of creativity, writing helps to talk of social issues, spread messages of love, peace and universal brotherhood.

RM:  What are your preferred subjects for writing?  

PK :  Well, I am a lover of nature and so many of my poems are on nature. Many of my  poems also deal with  women’s issues. I have also written on themes such as love, relationships, environment, fate of animals, old-age, death etc. I have also written an exclusive book of poems on spirituality. 

RM:  Yes, I also particularly love your nature poems. Could you share with readers your writing process?  

PK I make short notes instantly about the experiences I come across, newspaper reports, social stigmas, a picture that tells a story. Anything that strikes a chord in my consciousness prompts me to write. Often, I am able to write a fully developed poem at a stretch. However, then I keep on editing it till I am satisfied.

RM: You write in English and  in your mother tongue Malayalam. In which language are you more comfortable writing? Writing in which language gives you more satisfaction?  

PK: I am comfortable working in both the languages. My mother tongue Malayalam, the language I grew up listening and talking is dear and close to my heart. However, I also realize that writing in English gives me the advantage of more reach and readership. In short, I love both languages passionately. 

RM:  What are your views on modern trends in poetry? Further, what message would you like to give budding poets starting out on their journey? 

PK:  The current trend in poetry is towards free or open verse. Shorter forms of poetry are becoming more popular; brevity and simplicity could rope in  more readers. I read a lot of  the  works of contemporary poets. The poets of the younger generation are a promising lot. They are bold in their expression. 

To the budding poets I would like to suggest that it would be great if they could write with correctness, conciseness and clarity. Here, Correctness refers to both to the expression and the content; Conciseness to economizing the words and Clarity to clear and logical thoughts. It may be difficult to incorporate these, all at once. 

RM: Now, to my last question. Having achieved so much as a writer, what are your aspirations for the future? 

PK:  I am happy if I continue to share my thoughts effectively and my voice is heard. If my words inspire even a single soul, I would consider myself blessed. It would be great if it makes an impact on readers' mind- create my own niche, even if a small dot in the big canvas of literature.  

RM: That was a very holistic, engaging and fascinating conversation! Thanks a lot Pankajam! 

PK: Thank you Rajeev for having me. I also enjoyed talking to you. 

36 comments:

  1. Thanks from the depth of my heart for this honour Rajeev. I am so glad to see this in print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure doing this interview Pankajam!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Pankajam for that candid talk. ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for responding to this post.

      Delete
    2. your blogs are engaging and insightful, Rajeev ji.



      Delete
    3. Thanks Hema for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. Hearty congratulations to both Rajeev and Pankajam on this interesting interview .
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Mona for your appreciation and feedback!

      Delete
    2. Dear Mona, thanks for your reading and commenting.

      Delete
  4. Excellent and insightful interactions on life and literature. Kudos my friends Rajeev and Pankajam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to receive your feedback Paddy! Many poets and friendships bloomed in the your garden of "Rate my Literature".

      Delete
    2. Dear Paddy, Glad to receive your feed back. Thank you. Yes our friendship started with RML.

      Delete
  5. On reading this I can visualize the esteemed poet before my eyes. A very comprehensive coverage. Congrats to you Rajeev and Pankaj. I am looking forward to one more round looking at the number of books being churned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Sundar for your feedback- You are one who is always engaged in encouraging and promoting his friends!

      Delete
    2. Dear Sundar, You are such a beautiful soul. Thanks for reading and encouraging.

      Delete
  6. Ms. Pankajam's answer for your question on what motivated her to write poems, is quite interesting to read. Poetry is not but spontaneous overflowing of thoughts was nicely brought out in this inspiring conversation. Thank you very much sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mr shivkumar for your appreciation and feedback!Happy you related to the post.

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot Shivkumarji for your encouraging comments.

      Delete
  7. Hari OM
    Ahh - this must be the "Pankajam" who had taken the time to read my review of your e-book and also to comment - I am blessed to have had such a visit, methinks! I had tried to trace but could not.

    Always inspiring to hear and share with others in the writing river. Thank you both for this interview - a delight to read. I now tried to access books as shown in the image, but cannot seem to find any. There are some poems on "PoemHunter" and those definitely appeal! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pankajam had commented on your review.Her books are available on Amazon.I am so happy to receive your feedback! I am sure Pankajam also would be delighted.

      Delete
    2. ...do you have a link - I am adept but could not find one... I have had this issue before. Not all books are available in the UK for all sorts of reasons. Yxx

      Delete
    3. So happy to see your comment Yaminiji. Almost all my books (English) are available at amazon.in. The link is here:
      https://www.amazon.in/s?k=Pankajam+K&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

      Delete
    4. Your review was so transparent, erudite and engaging ma'm. Congrats to you.

      Delete
    5. https://www.amazon.in/s?k=Pankajam+K&ref=nb_sb_noss
      Please copy this link and paste it to your browser. it takes to my page.

      Delete
    6. Hari OM
      Pranaams aur dhanyavaad!! Yxx

      Delete
  8. Just suuuuuuuuperb, the conversation which make us enriched. Congratulations to both the great luminaries. My regards to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to receive your heart warming appreciation! Thanks a lot.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sujata for your lovely remarks.

      Delete
  9. Shorter forms are more popular; brevity and economising words could rope in more readers.
    Good interview, Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for responding to the post! Happy you liked it.

      Delete
  10. 🤝🤝🤝🤝Scintillating and interesting questions and vivid answers from the stalwarts and the love of writing enriches the senses of sight and sound. Fascinating one. 🌹🏵⚘🥀🌲

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much sir. So happy you liked the post!

    ReplyDelete