Wednesday 23 June 2021

Childhood Memoirs and Fantasy: "and all the SEASONS in between"







I read another book from the list that I had downloaded for reading from amongst those that were featured in the # Blogchatter E Book Carnival. This time,  a part of me asked " This is a book that has been appreciated and reviewed by many. What is the point of one more from you? Forget it Rajeev." 

"I know, I know, I told that part . Yes, there has been rave reviews of the book. One more or less may not make any difference. But, having loved  this book, I can't help expressing my impressions. Okay, okay, I am not writing a review. I will simply give a reader's perspective without wearing  the hat of a reviewer". In any case, I normally read books that interest me;  rarely write about one until it impresses to such an extent. It is blogchatter that has set this juice flowing for giving feedback on books- Thought I would write the mandatory two but found myself writing more. Perhaps I enjoy the process a lot more than I had cared to admit! But this, this is one book on which I simply had to share my thoughts. 

The book " and all the SEASONS  in between" written by Arti Jain comprises of fond childhood memories from the beautiful  hills of Dehradun that encompasses characters from a joint family, particularly the author's grandparents, Papaji and Beji. I have previously confessed to readers that I am a sucker for memoirs, simply love reading them for the nostalgia they evoke. In Arti's  book, it is not only the lovely memories of childhood (best period) but a concoction of fantasy and exquisite natural surroundings- papaji's garden, the grand house with courtyards, the guava tree, dragon fly are all interesting and important parts/ characters of the narrative.   

During the challenge, I came across the writing of the author quite late when I read the last chapter "He carried dirt under his finger nails" where we got introduced to Papaji and his deep love for his miiti/ earth/garden and his grandchildren - He fed them a few morsels of food personally with a lot of love. In fact, he felt he was ready to have a hearty meal himself only after his darlings have had their fill. A man of the soil, he did not see 'mitti' as dirty- He points out to the children, the earth, me and you are all made of the same substance. 

Reading this chapter, one cannot but be hooked by a desire to know more. I had made up my mind then and there that I would read the whole book when it is ready. The chapter also reveals how much Papaji missed the land of his birth "Shinkiari" across the border. A sad feeling envelops the reader as he reads about the "land that was snatched away from him by a line drawn in pen by mortal men." 

Let me share with you some of the random lines that I enjoyed reading from the book :  

  • Time, when you are in a garden with your grandfather melts like ice cream in the hot sun. 
  • Joint families are like jalebis: Complex and complete, crunchy and sweet. 
  • He whispered to each radish as he poured a little milk down into its soil bed.
  • They must be telling sky all about two girls lying with their mother in a field of wild flowers with an owl for company.
  • Understanding comes to those who sit still. 
  • We never ever cut or sliced Chaunsa (mango) with a knife- sucked the juice through the little puncture we had created-  (This sounded like the Chandrakaran mango of Kerala! )
  • The juice of Chaunsa in the meanwhile, found their way down to our elbows, trickling down our cheeks and throats in golden orange and sticky rivulets. 
  • Love had a way to nourish without side effects. Beji knew this instinctively.
  • My child, friends come in different shapes and sizes 
  • He picked one (chestnuts) , peeled it and popped it in our waiting mouths - turn by turn, like a bird feeding its fledglings. 
  • Very early in my life, I realized that songs and stories, recipes and riwaz (traditions) and remembered memories are the treasures my grandparents were able to bring over from across the border with them.     

Readers will also enjoy episodes of  tree climbing adventures, relatives visiting with an intention to steal the lip smacking recipes of Beji, the author's early morning 'pheri' with Papaji on a chilly October morning and many more!  If you pay attention, are willing to read between the lines amidst the fun and frolic, you get some life lessons as well- "Artemis,you should talk to the dragon fly. I can see you miss her. Open your heart and hear her out."  The book has a beautiful cover page and arresting illustrations through out the book which has been done by Arshia Jain, author's daughter. 

This mesmerizing book can be downloaded for free here

 I also participated in the # Blogchatter Carnival 2021( can access at the link) 

14 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Oh yes, I have followed Arti for some years now and her writing and story-telling never fail! So glad you enjoyed it. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Happy we are both on the same page on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one. Enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr shivkumar! Happy you liked the post.

      Delete
  4. Looks like the growing years in a joint family was an exciting period well cherished through a fond recall.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Sundar for sharing your thoughts on the post!

      Delete
  5. Very lovely and valuable thoughts of childhood spread gently like fragrance. Beautiful and interesting review with fine lessons of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Padma!Happy you liked the post.

      Delete
    2. This book evokes nostalgia and you have described it in a captivating style, Rajeev. Thank you. I will certainly read it.

      Delete
    3. So happy to hear from you chechi! Happy reading. You will certainly enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. Dear Rajeev,
    After a busy day, I sat down to read your review. Thank you so much for choosing to write it. I'm forever obliged. I guess I'm being greedy:) Thank you for reading and reviewing.
    Warmly,
    Arti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Arti! Even as it was a pleasure to read, it was a pleasure writing the review. I am sure that the book with is various ingredients will give a lot of happiness to a lot of readers!

      Delete
  7. 🙏🙏🙏🙏 Book Review is the views expressed by the author and interpreted in his own terms by an avid reader without diluting the main essence and the joy of sharing is manifold. Your interest and initiative to enrich us is commendable and we are in fact enlightened. Wonderful feelings. 😀😃😄😁

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you sir. so happy to receive your feedback on this post!

    ReplyDelete