Friday 28 May 2021

The Colony Kid - Book Review

 

The E Book "The Colony kid"  written by Ms Meena Chatty takes readers on a tour of life spent in a "colony". The author lived and spent the formative years of her life in a township of a public sector company in Bangalore where her father worked. I could immediately relate to this book as I had started my career in VISL Bhadravati (a town 250 Kms away from Bangalore) and experienced first hand life in a self contained township that had most facilities like a post office, school, grocery shops etc at a walking distance within the colony.

I love reading memoirs; particularly if it is written in an informal style. Meena Chatty has this breezy humourous style that endears her to the readers. In the book she shares and discusses a wide range of subjects like growing up as a child in a township, her school, close relatives who impacted her life like mother, sister, grandmother, their visits to the city, going on a pilgrimage, the arrival of television for the first time and its impact on the family, visit of a Russian troupe to the township, the impact of elections on the 'sleepy' colony etc. 

I particularly enjoyed reading about the games the girls enjoyed in those times, a period when there was no need for expensive toys to be happy. As for example, they played with their wooden dolls to whom not only were names given but their birthday was celebrated in a grand manner. 

" We would give them a traditional bath, making sure to shield their eyes from the water, just like how our mother did for us. Make them wear new outfits. The new outfits for both Swapna and Sumitra  were made by my talented mother. Between them they had nothing less than 15 outfits to alternate. They ranged from off shoulder dresses, long gowns, churidar, frocks and pants. Amma also made sweets for us to eat on their birthday! "   

Other things I loved about the book is the insights it offers on human nature. The author is candid while revealing character traits of people, whether it is her grandmother, teachers or about herself . As for example she describes herself  thus " I have always been a bit of a goofy girl. I take hit numbers and sing 'made up lyrics' for them, irritating my daughters.I talk gibberish sometimes. I entertain myself with small dances. I laugh out aloud, without caring for my surroundings! Oooh! I am like that! " 

"The colony kid" gets you to smile often and is to my mind just what the doctor ordered for the grim situation that we are presently facing. It showcases the unique bonding of the sisters with no trace of sibling rivalry. I cannot help marvel at another character in the book, the mother of the author who comes through as  one constantly supporting her children to grow up as happy, healthy and responsible adults. In fact, the author herself refers to her mother as "Super Star Amma", a title to which readers who have read the book would readily agree! 

I related to this book all the more, as I grew up  more or less in the same period that is described in it with similar challenges, happiness and disappointments. Today's children have more indulgent parents who are willing to give them expensive toys and gadgets. The only thing that they are unable to give is their time. At the end of each chapter, the author gives an interesting snippet titled "Comparison corner" where she compares her times with the times of the present kids. Readers can access this heart warming, pleasant, at times hilarious book for free here.  

Happy reading. I also participated in the # Blogchatter Carnival 2021( can access at the link) 



18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Happy you liked the review!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much Rajeev! I am over the moon with your review. I would like to link this to my blog, if you do not mind.

    I am grinning ear to ear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is my pleasure Meena!Please go ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The author entertained herself with dance, laughing loudly without caring for the surroundings and I feel that is the ideal way living happily. As a small child we did the same and as we grew up, to become happy we need external stimuli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for responding to this post.Yes, we miss out on life when we stop behaving in a natural manner when we cease to be children. Very few people are able to be "child like" even as they become adults.

      Delete
  5. I was intrigued about the book so I downloaded it as like you, I too enjoy reading memoirs. But, I haven't managed to read it yet. Hope to get to it soon after reading your review.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had read a few posts during the challenge and loved them. I wanted to be the "first kid in the block" to write the review :)
      I am sure that you will like the book too!

      Delete
  6. Meena, you deserve every bit of the very nice review of your book by Rajeev. Your writing style as well as choice of subject are always interesting, and although I haven't read the entire book as yet, the first few chapters are enough to let us know how very interesting it is going to be through and through. I am just waiting for a little leisure time, so that I can complete your super cute book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ramani for sharing your thoughts of appreciation here! Happy to note that you also like the writing style of the author.

      Delete
  7. Very interactive review, takes you through a quick pleasant guided tour of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much! Happy you liked the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a well written review. I am looking forward to reading this book now !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Chinmayee. So happy you liked the review!

      Delete
  10. 👌👌👌👌👌 I must appreciate the genuine experience in similar circumstances. The colony kids enjoy the unity in diversity concept and accept various traditions and lifestyles just to enjoy without going deep in to the logic as a child. I enjoyed reading this and compare my children as colony kids too. Good luck. 🌼💮🏵⚘🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir for responding and giving your feedback!

      Delete
  11. Such a heartwarming review. And though I did not live in a township, I had friends who lived in one and I could completely relate to everything in the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suchita. Yes, living in a township has its own charm. Happy you liked the review!

      Delete